Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Dante, Virgil & Hell in Second Life

Rebeca Bashly's Inferno on LEA 6  (moderate)

It's the time of year when "dark" becomes attractive to most of the population - not just those who indulge all of the time.  This is not my favourite time of year to be honest but it's growing on me.  I realized that people assume around now that my weird look is just a halloween costume and don't think anything of it. :)

If you really want to get in the mood for horror then visit a realization of Dante's vision of hell in Rebeca Bashly's Inferno on LEA 6.


Rebeca Bashly's Inferno on LEA 6  (moderate)

The Roman poet Virgil is your guide through the nine levels of suffering.  He's the one who glows - I guess since he's been granted visiting privileges they want to ensure he doesn't get caught up in some of the gruesome drama.

When you've had enough of the pain and torture on any level just touch him to get his attention and he'll move you along to the next.

Rebeca Bashly's Inferno on LEA 6  (moderate)

I don't subscribe to the notion of "hell" and certainly not the medieval view that Dante examined.  I guess if I had to pick a description I could accept it would be Jean Paul Sartre's "Hell is other people" from Huis Clos.  There's less brimstone that way.

(As a side note, when I was much younger at University, a group of us drove across the border to see a pron movie - very daring at the time.  I realized part way into it that the script was based on Sartre's book and decided to consider it just a field trip for my french literature class.  I can rationalize a lot of things.)


Rebeca Bashly's Inferno on LEA 6  (moderate)

If you survive the sight of all the trials, tribulations and tortures you will find yourself in the ninth circle.  As gruesome as I found everything else this section affected me the most and it was because of the big guy.

Yes Satan is here, with all three of his heads, but what really really bothered me were his wings.  They are the creepiest things I've encountered in SL.  The texture, the movement and the sheer menace in them both surprised and intimidated me.  Go visit Inferno for yourself and see what I mean.

Rebeca Bashly's Inferno on LEA 6  (moderate)

No comments: