Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Pastoral Bonanza in Second Life


It doesn't matter how many times I tell myself to "look at the map" when I visit new places, I still forget. And I miss things. Things that would be glaringly obvious if I just clicked that little button.

I recently visited the Gulf of Lune as part of a multi-sim journey and if I had looked at the map I would have realized that it's just one part of a 10 region build called the Calas Galadhon Park (moderate maturity rating).

Anchored by the small town of Calas Galadhon, this park is a stunning destination for those who like to hike, ride, paddle or just sit and ignore the stresses of all of the worlds we live in. I spent most of my journey through the beauty of these islands muttering insults at myself for having missed this before.

Miles and miles of country roads wind through forest and farmland. You can find marsh and sea scapes and tiny rivers with boats available to allow you to sail or paddle your way around the countryside.

I'm certainly not the first person to find this park. There were visitors on all 10 sims but the sense of peace and quiet wasn't disturbed by sharing the space with others. For one thing it's just too big to not be able to find a lot of areas for solitary contemplation if that's what you're looking for.

I did have my first opportunity to meet a unicorn though. Yuna Bellios didn't actually speak but it was a friendly encounter and, although I'm not great with portraits, I couldn't resist this shot. I believe I understood the body language well enough to feel I had permission to take this photograph.

This is a wonderful collection of islands. You can explore for hours and leave all your stress and worries far behind you. This has become my "go to" place for just that. :)

2 comments:

Uccie Poultry said...

A had to look twice to make sure that wasn't me in my unicorn avatar. I visit these regions often and can usually be seen in as a unicorn. Thanks for the nice post. These regions are so beautiful.

Honour McMillan said...

They are! And I'll make sure to check out all the unicorns I see now to find you.:)