Monday, September 7, 2009

Heritage Key - a Field Trip

I love great builds - and as much as they might annoy me at times I really admire the Rezzables' work. I also find archeology and ancient buildings/artifacts/cultures fascinating so visiting Heritage Key was long overdue for me. Registration for the virtual world is free and easy. (And yes this is going to be another photo-heavy post ... think of it as slides from my vacation!)

If you have experience in Second Life you will find Heritage Key very familiar and getting oriented and set up was a breeze (nicely laid out as well). There are some really cool teleportation portals (Ok I'm a geek) and the one out of orientation takes you to what will be a full fledged shop.


You will be able to acquire points in a variety of ways and then you can redeem them for items here in the shop. It's still under construction but then so is most of the world. However, you can see the possibilities now. I went through the portal there and found myself in mid air contemplating a balloon ride. :)


Sitting in the balloon triggers the flight and it's fun to be flying over a map.


As you get closer to your destination various details emerge.


I loved the King Tut Virtual that the Rezzables had built in SL and wanted to go see what it looked like now. One of the new additions is a "game". You get your own pick and sites where you can dig for treasure.


Now this is the kind of hunt I can enjoy. :)

Back to King Tut - follow the footsteps to find the entrance to the tomb.


The tomb itself is very small but has some beautiful objects and wall paintings.


The audio information is fabulous. Just click on the appropriate button to receive it. A nice alternative are the links to text information that's available.

Climb back into the Valley of the Kings and look for the Teleportation Portal. It will take you to the museum.

The exhibits are beautifully displayed - seriously, I was very impressed.


Another teleport and I found myself in the (still under construction) "Life on the Nile" exhibit.

I have to admit that I got most excited about the possibilities of the "Life on the Nile" so when I gave them my feedback I included my wishlist:

  • Temple of Karnak
  • Temple of Athena Polias at Priene
  • Angkor Wat

And HELLO! what about the New World? Frankly they're a little Old World-centric (I'm including China in the Old World). I would like to be able to explore these sites as they would have been at their peak:

  • Canyon de Chelle
  • Machu Picchu
  • Chichen Itza
I'll definitely keep going back and I love the main site with the links to archeological news etc. The possibility of walking through ancient streets in various fabulous places of the world is exciting. I hope they build quickly! :)

3 comments:

Cristopher Lefavre said...

Nice vacation report Honour - seems they have done some work since I was there a while ago; I was not Very impressed then... Guess I need to have a look again:-)

Vint / Ann said...

Thanks for the nice write-up, Honour (and for the tip-off on the shoes, you were right... we'll fix them! ;))

Must say you have quite an extensive wishlist there, I guess you won't be happy with just a few extra hippos in the Nile zone? ;)

Honour McMillan said...

Hippos? Well they might be a nice touch. However, you're the Rezzables! I don't think you'll have any trouble with my tiny little wish list. *grin*